It’s that time of the year when we look back at the highlights of the past 12 months. For us at mayamada, the GamePad Christmas event was the top of that list. A big thanks goes to the team who supported us and everyone came down to made it an amazing day! Don’t worry if you missed out, check out our recap and join us again in spring 2017.
This year our #BeCreative campaign continued with a really fun photoshoot with creative people from all walks of life. But it’s probably not going to surprise anyone who follows mayamada that cosplayers are one of our favourite groups to speak too!
Last year saw the launch of our #BeCreative campaign and with the help of 24 great artists, manage to create a one of a kind collection of artwork that answered the question: what does creativity mean to you?
We’re keeping our campaign going in 2016, starting with another installment of our creative blog feature. This time around we’re speaking to some of the same illustrators who contributed to our launch and finding out about their creative process.
Take a look at their interviews to find out what creativity means to these illustrators and just what goes into producing their amazing work.
London Comic Con is fast approaching and that means a ton of great cosplayers will be gathering in east London for the biggest comic convention in the UK.
This month mayamada is making a return to Comic Con and to mark the occasion we’re bringing you another round of interviews with a fantastic group of cosplayers. Our first cosplayer interview feature included all UK artists, this time we’re adding an international flavour with six cosplayers from different parts of the globe!
You can also check out his interview with Mellow 9 productions about his experiences in the music business and his 2011 trip to Japan. All while sporting the new black kai snapback ^_^
Check out both artists and help support London talent. Our snapbacks are now available for pre-order right here. Order before Monday 17th and get free delivery on your order.
During our first visit to MCM as dealers, we got the chance to meet up with the friendly guys over at the Geek Show. They do a live radio show every Monday 6-8pm which can be streamed live on thegeekshow.co.uk or on real life radio (104. 5 fm) if you’re in the Teesside area – that’s north England for our international viewers 🙂
Our very own Lao K sat down with them and discuss all things mayamada. You can check out the interview right here:
[audio:http://blog.mayamada.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/the-geek-show-mcm-oct-interview.mp3|titles=The Geek Show MCM Interview]
We’d like to thank the guys at The Geek Show for giving us the opportunity to chat about what we do, and for finding our Oystercard holder 😉
We recently got some time to chat with Rex Osafo-Asare from Asili. For those that don’t know, Asili is a London based clothing company focused on promoting Africa in a positive light. I won’t give everything away though, that’s what’s the interview is for!
Despite being friend of a friend I had never previously met Rex, but we had a great talk about his business and the business of t-shirts in general. We had a lot of fun and found it really helpful as we are just starting out ourselves (I actually thought I would be transcribing all of this!). If you are in a similar position in your business, there is some good advice for you. Even if you aren’t, this is still a fun listen.[audio:http://blog.mayamada.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/asili_interview_pt1.mp3|titles=Asili Interview pt1] [audio:http://blog.mayamada.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/asili_interview_pt2.mp3|titles=Asili Interview pt2] [audio:http://blog.mayamada.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/asili_interview_pt3.mp3|titles=Asili Interview pt3] [audio:http://blog.mayamada.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/asili_interview_pt4.mp3|titles=Asili Interview pt4]
You’ll have to excuse the rough editing. We really had no idea it would go this long but hopefully you find it interesting throughout. We’ll be doing this more often over the coming months. If you are an establish t-shirt company interested in doing an interview with us, get in touch!
- The original of asili and it’s logo – fashionable clothing for Africa. What Asili means (you have to listen for that…or just Google it)
- How many people and why there are no women in the team!
- Rex’s role in the company
- Some of the obstacles in starting up his t-shirt company (money and awareness)
- Grafting to make the business a success and attract fans (Facebook included)
- An interlude while Rex got the door!
- You can never beat word of mouth
- The importance of referrals
- How Asili got into brick and mortar stores
- Some tips on how to approach store owners and dealing with knock backs
- How they look to brand themselves through associations with their t-shirts
- Online versus offline: which is better?
- Remembering the importance of getting recognition even on a small scale.
- Breaking he myth that online is easier. If you build it..they still may not come. You still have to put in the work
- We were working on the new site design while doing this interview. You can check that out now!
- Asili reaching as far as America!
- Thoughts on appealing to different demographics
- Having realistic goals at the beginning – you have to measure using realistic standards.
- Sometime things don’t do to plan, reality can be tough sometimes.
- Breadth versus depth when it comes to products
- What’s coming up next for Asili, looking to the future
Don’t forget to check out Asili – World cup tees are out now